Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Cupid Shuffle

I've been in Mt. Ida Arkansas for the last week working with Camp Ozark on launching a camp blog, and various video and creative projects. 

Each night there is a camp wide special activity. Last night the activity was 'Pump it Up", which includes several large inflatable obstacle courses, games, loud music all wrapped up with some group dancing. 

At some point they began to play the song the cupid shuffle, and Scott Torn turns to me and says, "Asher, its time for you to Cupid Shuffle." 

So Cupid shuffle I did. 

There I am, out in the middle of a field with several hundred young people, in the cool summer evening, dancing. 

At Camp Ozark there is freedom to do the cupid shuffle. 

I'm not usually one to dance, but this was a LOT of fun, and to be honest, for me it was the peak of the experience you get when you are at Camp Ozark. 

The experience that you can come to Camp Ozark and you are free be who you are, and that is a lot of fun. 

Free to be yourself.

You're not the athlete. 

You're not the star. 

You're not the bully. 

You're not the bullied.

You are you and you can experience joy and excitement. In this you experience a freedom, a joy, a connectedness to a deep part of us that I think God created and put in us. 

Later that night, heading to bed, I began to think about the world outside of Camp Ozark and the freedom we may or may not experience in it, and I began to think about how can I make the world around me, a place of joy. 

A world free to dance. 

A world connected deeply to its Maker.




No comments: